While we’ve discussed packaging trends in many industries, MJS Packaging has yet to cover trends within the candy and snack industry! Candy and snack packaging has to stand out amongst competitors and communicate its sweet value to consumers.
The Candy & Snack Industry
This luscious industry, standing approximately at $35 billion in U.S. annual sales, offers endless options from sweet and sour candies to health-conscious and guilty pleasure snacks. Packaging provides great opportunities for manufacturers and its consumers:
- Approximately 80% of brand owners claim packaging has a positive effect on brand value.
- Shoppers are willing to pay more for certain characteristics when a product’s packaging enhances these traits.
4 Packaging Trends
MJS Packaging wants to share several trends, which emerged from the 2018 National Confectioners Association’s Sweets & Snacks Expo.
- Single-Serve Packaging: Americans love to snack. They snack an average of 2.5 times per day, or more if they are younger, and typically alone. This is why the candy and snack industry offers single-serve options because they are portable, easy to carry, open and reseal.
- Convenience Packaging: Consumers of all ages enjoy when these products are offered in packaging that is lightweight, easy to open, and resealable, complementing their on-the-go lifestyle. Many manufacturers in this industry use plastic stand-up pouches as the perfect packaging options for both candy and snacks.
- Bulk Packaging: Purchasing candy and snacks in bulk is essential to big families and households. Consumers like the economics of large, resealable packages because it saves money and time. It allows fewer trips to the store while keeping the products consumers love fresh. Statistics show consumers, who earn less than $50,000 annually, are willing to spend almost twice the premium for packaging that keeps a product fresh longer.
- Switching the Packaging Up: To connect with new consumers, manufacturers should consider switching products’ packaging format, material, and style; or bring a new element to enhance the full packaging look. Sticking to the basics or incorporating creative effects on packaging entices consumers to purchase.
Ready to Talk About Packaging?
MJS Packaging is here to become your complete packaging solutions provider. Let our knowledgeable packaging solutions specialists help you choose the right packaging option for your candy and snack products.
Contact MJS Packaging today or call us at 800-915-2262.